Wednesday 10 May 2017

Using the Pentax 645Z

Week [Camera Research Notes]
Pentax 645Z Medium-Format Camera

After falling in love with the Pentax 654Z medium-format camera from the production shoots I had been carrying out so far this term, I thought it would be beneficial for my project if I did some research about the camera. Since I intended on using this camera for all my future production shoots for the project, it seemed only right to learn more about the mechanics and functions of this camera. Here are some notes from the research about the camera this week:

Main Features and Specifications
Camera Weight: 1.47kg (camera body alone)
Pixel Sensor: 51.4 million pixels (25 x more quality than Full HD 1080p)
LCD Screen: 3.2 inches
Native ISO Sensitivity: 100-204,800
Continous Shooting Speed: 3fps
Focus System: 27-point Auto-Focus
Aspect Ratio: 4:3
Sensor Size: CMOS 44x33mm 
Resolution: 8256 x 6192
Metering System: RGB
Storage: x 2 SD card slots

Personal Notes/Tips
- Best for shooting landscape and macro photography, use of tripod will give best results.
- Going above ISO 1600 produces much more grainy images for handheld shots
- Camera meters in a similar way to DSLR's and can under expose details with small apertures. 
- It is weatherproof and water sealed so can withstand some outdoor conditions
- HDR settings and the fast frame rate of the camera will make it easier to properly expose all details within my images than camera bracketing



My First Impressions of the Pentax 645Z
One of the best things about using the Pentax 645Z is that it slows me down. I stopped to think about what I was shooting. how long to exposure my photographsand made sure that my tripod was perfectly positioned for symmetrical compositions.
Of course, I could  do all of this with any digital camera, but there is something about the size, the shape, the cost and the operations of the 645Z that encourages me to get the perfect images of the highest quality with its 51.4-million-pixel sensor. As you would expect with medium-format camera sensors, the image quality is incredible!  Although, photographs captured at higher ISO settings could benefit from a reduction in size to help reduce image noise.
Yet, for the feeling that it was something new with the fact that I had never used a medium-format camera before, it had a sense of familiarity. The buttons, dials and on-screen menus are all logically placed, and although the size and shape of the camera can seem intimidating as the analogue Hasselblad or the Linhof Technika. Essentially, the 645Z handles very much like a big DSLR.

Information Sources:
- http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.uk/en/medium-format-digital/PENTAX-645-Z.html
- http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/reviews/dslrs/pentax-pentax-645z
- https://photographylife.com/reviews/pentax-645z/






No comments:

Post a Comment